My Aunt Cathy is a great baker. She makes the most wonderful scones and cakes! So when my Dad’s family get together she’s got the sweets nailed. For our latest afternoon tea I had an urge to bake and was looking for something savoury when I stumbled across this gem, a lovely little hand written recipe that you’d miss if you blinked. Gosh this is delicious. Tuna, cheese, rice and my old friend Keen’s curry powder. How could it not be? This made a lovely snack, but would also make a great dinner with a salad or veg on the side.
You will need:
- 1 cup rice
- 1 large onion sliced and chopped (I left this out)
- 50g butter
- 4 eggs
- 425g can tuna (in brine)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Oil a 20x30cm pan. Boil rice. Fry onion in butter.
- Combine rice, half of the onion, one egg, curry powder and 1/3 cheese. Mix well and press into pan.
- Strain tuna and preserve brine. Sprinkle tuna over the rice and top with remaining cheese and onion.
- Combine brine, milk, mustard and parsley with three eggs. Mix well and pour over tuna.
- Bake uncovered in moderate oven for about 50 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
What’s your favourite savoury slice?
Love Kath and Kate xx