Finally, a pineapple and tomato soup free stew…This one is a crowd pleaser and smells like pizza. How could you say no?
You will need:
– one and a half pounds of stewing steak (about 700g)
– 4 tablespoons of seasoned flour
– a few bacon pieces
– 2 tablespoons of margarine
– 2 sliced onions
– 1 clove of garlic (garlic’s first appearance on this blog!)
– 1 1/2 cups stock
– 1/2 pound of tomatoes (close enough to 250g)
– 1/2 teaspoon of dried herbs (we only had some dried oregano in the cupboard so we added some of this, as well as some fresh thyme and rosemary)
– 1/2 green pepper
– salt and pepper
Cut meat into cubes, roll in seasoned flour. Melt margarine in pan, add meat, saute until well browned. Add onions, crushed garlic, chopped bacon; cook further 5 minutes. Add herbs and stock; stir in a little of remaining flour. Cover, continue cooking until meat is tender (allow a couple of hours). About 15 minutes before end of cooking time, add peeled, chopped tomatoes (ok so I didn’t bother peeling them) and thinly sliced green pepper; season to taste. Serve with hot rice.
Perfect for a chilly winter evening!
What’s your go to stew?
Kath & Kate x